Friday, August 26, 2011

WSIKF 2011

Flag

The Washington State International Kite Festival, called "Wiskif" by the regulars, runs for a full week in August every year.  This year's event was about as good as it gets from a weather standpoint.  We had six near-perfect sunny days out seven with good wind and no rain.

Camps 
We set up "camp" on the beach each day with other kiters.  Ours is at the far end, marked by my large American flag banner.  We were joined by several other couples from our home town and elsewhere.

Flag
There were the usual displays of giant kites but not as many as in past years, perhaps due to the slow economy.

Clowns
This huge clown-motif kite was one of the blue ribbon winners in the hand-crafted kite competition.  The design is created by an applique technique using colored fabric.  The fabric is coated rip-stop nylon, the same type used to make sails. 

Rok
The design on this prize-winner was inspired by a Beetles song titled "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window".  The kite, a traditional Japanese design called Rokkaku, is popular with kite builders because it is simple, flies well, and makes a good canvas for graphics.

Edo

The Edo is another traditional Japanese design.  Edo is the old name for Tokyo.

KAP-Camp

KAP-Kites
I used my KAP rig to capture these images.  KAP stands for Kite Aerial Photography.  It uses a radio-controlled camera suspended below a kite.  In the upper photo our camp is under the two blue shelters on the right.

3 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

I'm very impressed with your aerial view photography! I love your American flag banner and the Japanese kites are inspiring. I'd like to make one someday. I'm wondering what is under the orange & white stripped canopy?

8:34 PM  
Blogger glenn said...

Hi, are you going in 2013? We are. I'd like to know more about the camps and the parade of colors. Contact me please.
video93210@sbcglobal.net

7:55 AM  
Blogger glenn said...

Hi, are you going in 2013? We are. I'd like to know more about the camps and the parade of colors. Contact me please.
video93210@sbcglobal.net

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home